Friday 24 September 2010

Teaching quilting to kids

Our local school has a clubs programme they run once a year.  For one afternoon a week for five weeks the children can choose and elective to participate in.  I volunteered this year and took a fabric art class.  The design inspiration was cut fruit.  The 6 girls aged 10 and 11 made their own design,  pattern and constructed their own quilt right down to machine quilting and making labels for their art work.  Their finished pieces blew me away.  Once they knew they could do it, the creative juices just flowed.  Children are amazing creatures we do not always see what they are capable of  accomplishing.  We can miss an amazing opportunity to teach kids by thinking they can't do something when in reality they can. 

These photos are of their work that they did.












I had a wonderful experience with these children.  I can't wait to do it again next year.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we never know just how much we can do until we try. What a great opportunity for these kids to realize how creative they can be!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...