Thursday 25 September 2014

Tutorial: Labels for art quilts

I love to be creative and experience the wonder of the creative process.  It is equally as satisfying to complete a piece of work. The feeling of accomplishment,  pride and success is wonderful.  it is so nice to create something beautiful that wasn't there before.  

For many years women have been creating and  telling stories though quilts and for many years only a handful of people signed their work. We only know some of who made and created  these stunning works of art.  Whatever art work you make or what ever you create  it is so important to record somewhere on the quilt who made it. 




My wee one

When I make an art quilt I always sign my work somewhere and make a label for the back of the quilt.  

There are many ways to make labels.  This is my favourite way to make them.

  1. type all the details of your quilt into a document page.  I like to include  The title, my name,  date the quilt was finished, the dimensions of the art work,  where I live and a copy write statement.  Save the document.             
Example


My Wee one
By Catherine Parkinson
2010
Dimensions:  62 x 89 cm
Te Awamutu
New Zealand

©  2010 Catherine Parkinson all rights reserved

You could also add further contact information to the label like web page,
blog, phone number , full address

2.  Cut a piece of  Visofix and white fabric  to the same size an A4 piece of paper


3.  Iron the Vlisofix onto the back of the fabric.  Leave the paper attached to the back of the fabric.  Place in the paper tray of your printer.



3.   Open your document and then go to the print button of your programme.  Set the paper setting to matt photo paper.  Press print.



4.  Cut out each label then take the paper off the back of the fabric.


5.  Using a pressing sheet,  Iron onto the back of your art quilt.  


Points to Remember 

  • To clean the heads on your printer if you use your printer regularly to print fabric
  • These quilt labels are not water proof so keep water away from them.
  • Remember too sign the front of your art too for an additional record









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...