Saturday 16 July 2011

Birthdays

This week in July is my 2 boys birthdays.  They're 7 and 10 years old.  I have no idea where the time has gone.  I made their cakes for their big days and an extra one for their combined party for their grandparents.



Their combined birthday cake......a spooky ghost made with American frosting, egg shells and sultanas.
The cake was a fruit cake made with only 4 ingredients.
Easy fruit cake

1kg mixed fruit (or dried fruit and nuts of you own liking)
2 C of orange juice
2 C of self raising flour
2 t cinnamon

1.  Place fruit in bowl overnight in orange juice.
2.  Stir in remaining ingredients
3.  Pour into greased and lined tin tin and bake for 1 hour and 20 mins at 180C or until skewer comes out clean.
4.  Cool on a rack for 15 before turning out of the tin.


My 7 year olds cake.  He loves babies so this was perfect for him.  This one was a gluten free chocolate cake iced with butter icing.  Yummy!






This cake was my 10 year olds cake.  A lemon Madeira cake....just combine the ingredients and tiff it in a tin.  I love recipes like this one.  So easy.  The cake is covered in almond icing and marzipan and decorated with the boys playmobil men.






2 comments:

  1. What is "American frosting"? I didn't know we had special frosting in the states! The cakes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were very yummy.

    You might know the frosting as something else. But here is the method I use. American frosting is sugar and water disolved together. Then the syrup gets boiled until soft boil stage then the syrup gets added to beaten egg whites very slowly. You keep beating till the mixture forms stiff peaks (takes a while) then voila you have a beautiful frosting to ice with.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...