Wednesday 13 March 2013

What to do with quilts with a mind of their own


I had a quilt that I had made a while ago that I just couldn't get to sit flat.  I tried a new way of constructing a quilt but it just wouldn't flatten out.  We have all had these quilts that take on a life of their own and no matter what you do it just won't work. I had put a lot of time and effort into this piece of work and did not want to just throw it out.  


I had done a lot of dying and stitching and I really loved the effect of all the blocking.  



So I decided to chop it all up.  It took a lot of courage but I am so pleased I did.


I have made 6 journal covers with the different sections of the quilt. 


Close up of the small journal



I also made dust covers for all my sewing machines. I just edged them with a satin stitch and put a piece of narrow elastic on each end to keep it into place.


I still have lots of wee scraps of quilted fabric left that I am going to stitch together and the consider the possibilities....... 

What I have learned


  • That when a quilt doesn't sit flat there are still many possibilities.
  • That there is always a way to make something work
  • Something beautiful can be created from something that seemed to be a failure
  • There is no such thing as a failure
  • You learn the most when something doesn't turn out the way you planned
  • You may start with a plan A and then move onto a Plan B or C but it doesn't make it wrong just a different path
I challenge you to take a quilt that hasn't worked and try to make something else from it.  You will amazed at the possibilities.







1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way to make what could have been termed a "frustration" into something that is most definitely a success!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...