Saturday 27 April 2013

Finding inspiration through photography :Part one

When the creativity block starts to weave its vines around me I reach for my camera and start to take lots of photos.  The more photos the better.  I try and take the subject from a variety of angles and if possible with different lighting. It is important to record as much information as possible of the subject for later reference. I find photos work well for me when I can't stop and sketch because I have children dashing off to the next garden or running down the bush track at break neck speed. If I have time to stop sketches add a greater depth of information of the subject if I can',t photos are just fine.


But how can these photos be used in art work? 

  • Use the photo as is.  Replicate a well composed photo

This photo of a Kaka (a native New Zealand parrot) Has all the information I need.  I could create this bird from material as a appliqué quilt in traditional or raw appliqué technique, I could paint and then quilt him or I could free motion quilt the lines of the photo on a whole quilt.  I could choose to make the quilt look exactly the same or near to the original photo.

  • Take a portion of the photo and replicate 

Original photo


Cropped portion:  I could use appliqué,  quilt or paint this onto to fabric too.  Cropping is a great way to focus in on a small detail of the photo or to take out any distractions in the original photo.

  • Take 2 L-shaped pieces of card to see what crop you like the best.

I liked the shapes of the 2 glasses.  The lights behind could be used in texture on the fabric or polka dotted fabric could be used. 

Using this technique is great if you love your original photo or love more realistic art work..  Try to use your own photography though if you intend to sell your work other wise you start getting into copy write issues and they can start to get complicated.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...