Tuesday 8 May 2012

Creating a studio space

 


I am reorganising my studio as I am planning to start teaching from my home and to start a business in quilting.  It has been a real mission to do this in our family home with a large family. Things are starting to come together after a lot of planning. 

I have spent many weeks reading up on office spaces,  sewing studios and mulling over ideas in my head.  Over the next few week I want to share with you some of my research and my journey to get a up an running studio

I have found a few books that have helped me alot.  The one that helped me the most was at work at home. 




It is a great book that really has helped me through the process of planning a studio and office  space.

Every artist deserves to have a space they call their own.  So even if you are not planning to need a massive studio to work from try and find a small space to call your own so you can create.

So What is the first thing that you should do when planning a studio space.

        1. Know your needs - The first thing that you need to do is write down all your needs in your 
  studio.  This might mean writing down your business ideas too so you know what stations or
  areas you might need for different jobs.  I worked out I needed space for
  • Administration area/ and my computer
  • Sewing area
  • Product and design development
  • Art area-wet and dry
  • A teaching area
You could need other things depending on the type of work you do.  Brainstorm all those possibilities

      2.  Carefully consider locations.  Think about all the areas you will need - Look at all the possibilities in your home and outside your home.  Use your imagination when looking at different possibilities.  think about
  • Spare bedrooms
  • Nooks
  • Wide hallways
  • Unused family areas
  • Sheds
  • garages
  • Attics
  • Studio spaces
  • cupboards
  • walk in wardrobes
  • Wardrobes
         
It is amazing where you can find space in your home. A wide hallway could serve as a admin
area while a wide cupboard could serve as a small art studio. I was so excited when I got a table of my own to work from, it wasn't large but it was my own space that I could use.

When I was thinking about a location for me I had to consider how it would affect my family.  Having a studio away  from home isn't really a possibility for me at the moment as my youngest boys need me at  home when they get sick and are on holiday.  I also had to consider how each space in my home would affect the running of my home.      
         
Once you have thought of a couple of locations to consider spend some time thinking about each location.  Take time to choose the best place and you will have a great place to create from every day.

Next week we will look at the next stage in creating a workable studio space

Happy planning xx



1 comment:

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...