Tuesday 1 May 2012

ATC Cards

I have have started making ATC card AKA Artist trading cards.  Boy they are addictive.  I've made 3 in 2 days and I think I am going to have to restrain myself from making too many each day.  They are quick,  a fun way to explore ideas and provide instant gratification.  What more do I need.





While I was trying to find out the size of these wee little cards I came across some interesting information about these wee little cards.  They are 2 1/2 x 31/2 inches the same size as a modern baseball card.  ATC can quite handily fit into standard card collector pockets, sleeves and sheets. 


The front of the cards invites an artist to create an original piece of work in miniature size to give away, swap or trade to a person of their choice.  On the back of a card the artist can include their
name, contact details, title of the ATC, number if it's a limited edition, and sometimes the date it was created.



An artist can choose any medium or technique to work in.  These 3 wee cards are watercolour,  black pen and Inktense pencils.  The only limit you have is your imagination :) It is wonderful to be able to be creative on a small scale and to be able to communicate with other creative people.


An ACEO is short for Art Cards, Editions and Originals.  The only difference between a ATC and a ACEO  is that the second is sold.  Though it is customary to only trade them. They are a bit like a business card: a small sample of your art work. 



The whole ATC movement developed from a the mail art movement and now is a popular way of meeting new artists all over the world. It is a great way of networking with other artists and to keep in touch with other artists.



They are also a lovely thing for children to make as they are a very easy project for them to finish. 

So how do you start.  Cut out some little cars from a material that can hold the medium of your choice.  I have used watercolour paper for mine.  Then add what ever you want on top.  just try going with your mood of the day.  Finish off with your name and details on the back and then find someone who will do a trade with you.  There are a number of websites that engage in swaps if  you have no one to you know to swap with.  Why not set up your own ATC group and begin creating. 

I've got my children interested so I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

1 comment:

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...