Monday 6 June 2011

Quilted book covers

A couple of months ago I downloaded Lyric Kinard's workshop called the sample platter from the quilting arts web site.  It is a wonderful mixture of diffent techniques to try for surface design. At the end of this DVD she demostrated an easy way to make book covers.  So I decided to have a go at making one. 

I used a few techniques in the DVD. 
  1. Screen printing-The front cover of the book is a screen print I designed
  2. Stamping-I made my own rubber stamp and printed this image onto the spine.
  3. Rubbing-I did repeated rubbings of a flower stamp and a line printing block with shiva paint sticks.
In addition to these techniques I ragged colour onto the whole piece of fabric with 3 different colours.

The front of the book

 The back of the book


The spine of the book

I quilted the book cover front and back and added beads where the quilted lines crossed each other. 

It was a really enjoyable project and I am planning on doing many more covers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...