Thursday 3 February 2011

Opposites

As I have been contemplating the new theme, opposites,  for the sketch booking challenge this month I have thought about the opposites in the world of weather and natural disasters.........still/shaky,  dry/wet.....calm/stormy....upright/flattened......water/flames....cold/hot......snow/sun  

The earth provides so many extremes and opposites.  Australia are going through so many opposites at the moment.  In part there is drought,  another flooding,  storms and bush fires.

This site contains some wonderful photos of those extremes.
http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/?source=NavPhoHome


Opposites are in all parts of our lives.  Sad/happy......joy/depression.....up/down.....life/death....plenty/few.....hot/cold......love/hate......on/off.......in/out....
good/bad.......  Opposition is important in our lives.  Without one we cannot know the other.  We gain understanding of the opposite by experience and learning. 

In art work, opposites are important in expressing ourselves more coherently and expressively.  Thick/thin....rough/smooth.....organic/geometric....complementary colours.....dark/light.....heavy/light....balance/unbalanced.....symmetrical/asymmetrical....positive/negative.

I am going to try this month to use these opposites more in my art work.  Hopefully as I practice in my sketch book the theme of opposites it will in turn help provide more depth in my quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...