Thursday 21 June 2012

Quilting with music or stories

I am busy machine quilting at the moment.  Between family and quilting and really haven't had much time for anything else.  I seem to have run out of time for a few deadlines so I am madly trying to finish as much as I can so I can get a a few things finished.  I have had to unpick one quilt as a lovely, sweet cat (can you sense the sarcasm :)  has weed over the back of it.  Luckily the wee didn't go through to the batting but just sat on the cotton fabric. 

To make time go faster and make it feel like I am lost in the quilting I love to put my headphones in and listen to a story or music.  I turn on what I feel like on that day.  Today I have been listening to Ed Sheeran yesterday Il divo and tomorrow it will probably be my new Simon and Garfunkel CD.  My father has a huge range of music he listens too and he has passed to me a legacy of being able to listen and appreciate a vast range of music.   When I go back and look at a quilt I often can remember the music I listened too. When I listen to the music I can often remember the quilt I quilted.  I find this fascinating that that connection can be remembered many years later.  Music is so emotive for me and so part of my soul a strong connection remains.

I also love to listen to stories as I quilt.  I am listening to Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte at the moment.  Unabridged it is 16 Cd's long so it is taking me quite a while to get through.  It is an amazing story.  As with music I feel connection strongly between a story and an art piece.   A story takes me to a new space and place, it helps the quilting flow better and my hand and eye to work more cohesively together.

What do you listen to as you quilt?  Do you choose different genres on different days?  Or do you have special quilting music that turns on the quilting person inside you?  I would love to hear what you do. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved your quote at the top of the blog - I'm a classical musician (retired!) so I listen to all my CD's etc. The player has packed up so i put my lovely Bose Ear phones on and get lost in my own world while I sew! Schubert and Rachmaninov are frequent companions.

    Happy hours,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rachmaninov I can get lost listening to him too. A great companion.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...