Tuesday 16 October 2012

Artist-Dave Sotogi

I seem to spending more time trying to do something art related than actually doing it.  My posts have been very sparse at the moment as life has been quite a challenge. 

The past week has found my hubby on bed rest with pneumonia.  He was first diagnosed with a chest infection but none of the medications seemed to be working so it was back off to the doctors and onto some stronger meds.  He is not one to rest so the past few days have been a challenge for him.  It has been a long time since he has had to rest this long.  Sometimes I think these illnesses can end up being a blessing of sorts,  they certainly change perspectives.  Sometimes the only way we do rest is by forced rests.

Amongst all this I got the opportunity to go to a business meeting on Friday night and hear Dave Sotogi speak about his journey as an artist.  He was very inspiring and very informative.  His work is amazing and can be seen at

 
He is a New Zealand artist who works in oils.  He is a very versatile artist.  He can paint beautiful realistic portraits and abstract work.  After his presentation I was able to speak to him for about 20 min and to gain some insight into how to progress as an artist.
I came out of the meeting feeling inspired,  recharged and motivated. I want to share some of his advice with you if you want to go further with your art
 
  • Fake it till you make it.
  • Work hard at what you do
  • Enjoy what you do.  
  • You have been given a talent....use it
  • Think outside the box
  • Know your market
  • Don't buy into snobbery,   rise above it
  • Keep your life in balance
  • Keep practicing
  • Have your own space if you can
  • Believe in your work
  • Know what you want from your art
  • Make it happen,  only you can
  • Have supportive and talented people around you
  • Live your dream
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Leave me a message :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...